Weight loss tips – We often underestimate the power of minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium in the smooth functioning of vital organs in our body. Most of us give more prominence to vitamins such as A, B, C, D, E, and K and ignore essential and trace minerals leading to deficiencies which might act as a trigger to various illnesses. The lack of these minerals and trace elements even prevent you from losing weight and reaching your desired goal weight. Magnesium is one such mineral which does not get its due importance and you would be surprised to know that this element is needed in more than 300 chemical reactions in the body! It activates muscles and nerves, creates energy by activating adenosine triphosphate, helps to reduce stress, and is needed to digest fats, proteins, and carbs. If you are feeling tired and stressed out all the time, it would be a good idea to get yourself checked for magnesium deficiency because it might also be one of the reasons why you are not losing weight either.
How Magnesium Rich Food Can Help with Weight Loss?
Role of Magnesium in Human Body:
1. Needed in at least 300 chemical reactions in human body.
2. Regulates blood sugar in the body.
3. Needed in protein synthesis.
4. Required for normal nerve function.
5. Helps in maintaining heart rhythm.
6. Regulates muscle contraction.
7. Transports essential minerals like calcium and potassium to the cells.
8. All vital organs like heart, kidneys need magnesium for proper functioning.
9. Needed for digestion of fats, proteins, and carbs.
10. Acts as a precursor for the release of serotonin which helps to lower stress levels.
11. Needed for healthy bones and teeth.
12. The primary source of energy, adenosine triphosphate or ATP cannot be regulated without magnesium.
13. Helps calm mind and body, in other words, it helps lower stress and is required for robust functioning of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptors which reduce tension and anxiety.
14. Helps you sleep better through the night.
15. Keeps your digestive system run normally.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency:
1. Bloating and water retention.
2. Acidity, digestion issues.
3. Increased stress level and anxiety.
4. Low energy, feeling tired throughout the day.
5. High irritation level.
7. Leg cramps
How Magnesium Helps with Weight Loss?
1. Magnesium levels in the body regulates blood glucose levels and a good control over glucose matters a lot when it comes to weight loss. Maintenance of blood glucose levels also means there would be less insulin spikes and lesser creation of new fat cells.
2. Magnesium reduces bloating and water retention.
3. Helps you sleep better because magnesium is required in smooth functioning of GABA receptors, which play an important role in calming your mind and putting it to ease at night, so that you can sleep soundly. We tend to lose more weight when we sleep better, and get at least 8 hours of sleep. To read the importance of good sleep in weight loss, please read this article (Lose As Much Weight as Possible by Following These Rules).
4. In all the “How To Lose Weight” articles that you might have read, chances are odd that those lists would have missed this point – “reduce stress to lose weight.” Magnesium helps to calm your mind down and decrease stress levels in the body, and also to increase serotonin (which is also called “happy chemical”) that regulates feelings such as mood and happiness. High serotonin level means you would feel good about yourself and life in general. Interestingly, people with major depression have been found to have magnesium deficiency, so up your intake of magnesium through a healthy diet.
5. Helps in normal functioning of digestive system. A good digestive system is of utmost importance in maintaining a healthy weight and for absorption of nutrients into the body through the gut. If there is a disruption in smooth functioning of digestive process, that will cause a cascading effect on the functioning of all other vital organs of the body, including brain and immune system. People with low immunity are often found to have digestive issues. It would be extremely hard for someone with an impaired digestive system to lose weight (Can Probiotic Foods Help you Lose Weight and Tummy Fat).
6. When someone is deficient in magnesium, the absorption of calcium and potassium which are essential in muscle function gets affected. As a result, one would feel extremely fatigued during workouts and their muscle formation would get hampered. To get proper outcome from exercise, eat magnesium-rich food in your diet. Rati Beauty Diet programs make extensive use of magnesium-rich food and ingredients in our recipes so that the weight loss process does not get hampered due a lack of this vital nutrient.
Recommended Daily Dosage of Magnesium:
Approximately 400 mg per day for men and 310 mg per day for women.
25 Best Sources of Magnesium:
3. Spinach and other leafy green vegetables.
4. Pumpkin seeds
5. Dark chocolate
11. Whole grains
12. Sesame seeds
13. Sunflower seeds
15. Brown rice
21. Okra or ladies finger
22. Chia seeds
24. Black-eyed peas or lobia
If you are struggling to balance out essential nutrients such as magnesium in your diet, it would be prudent to look for recipes that make use of magnesium-rich ingredients. In our diet programs, there are a lot of recipes with quinoa, chia seeds, broccoli that you can try out. More health related tips